Now that all of its stores are closed due to COVID-19, the Swedish furniture retailer has unveiled the secret recipe for its signature meatballs.
Served at its stores all over the world—which are now closed because of the COVID-19 pandemic, these meatballs are made of ground beef and pork and served with a dollop of cream sauce.
Paying homage to its furniture instruction manuals, the illustrated six-step recipe is easy to follow and will yield four servings.
Ms. Lauren Lourido, country food manager of Ikea United Kingdom and Ireland, said: “We know that some people might be missing our meatballs, which is why we’ve released an at-home alternative which, using easily accessible ingredients, will help those looking for some inspiration in the kitchen.
“Staying at home can be hard, but we want to help make everyone’s lives that little bit easier and more enjoyable. Bon appétit or, smaklig måltid, as we say in Sweden!” She added.
The recipe is as follows:
- 500 g beef mince
- 250 g pork mince
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic (crushed or minced)
- 100 grams of breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 5 tablespoons of milk
- Salt and pepper
- Dash of oil
- 40 g butter
- 40 g plain flour
- 150 ml vegetable stock
- 150 ml thick double cream
- 150 ml beef stock
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1. Meatballs: Combine beef and pork mince and mix with your fingers to break up any lumps. Add finely chopped onion, garlic, breadcrumbs, egg and mix. Add milk and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Shape mixture into small, round balls. Place on a clean plate, cover and store in the fridge for 2 hours (this will help them hold their shape while cooking).
3. In a frying pan, heat oil on medium heat. When hot, gently add meatballs and brown on all sides.
4. When browned, add to an ovenproof dish and cover. Place in a hot oven (350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius) and cook for a further 30 minutes.
5. Iconic Swedish cream sauce: Melt 40g of butter in a pan. Whisk in 40g of plain flour and stir for 2 mins. Add 150ml of veg stock and 150ml of beef stock and continue to stir. Add 150ml double cream, 2 tsp of soy sauce and 1 tsp of Dijon mustard. Bring it to simmer and allow the sauce to thicken.
6. When ready to eat, serve with your favorite potatoes—either creamy mash or mini new boiled potatoes. Enjoy!